We offer quality, experience,
and the latest in esthetic dentistry.
November is Oral Cancer Awareness Month
Are you looking for a new smile? We provide high-quality family dentistry services at Cedar Ridge Esthetic & Family Dentistry. We offer everything from cosmetic dentistry to dental exams in Urbandale, so you can be sure you’re getting the best care for your needs. We know how important it is to have a great smile, and we’re dedicated to helping you achieve that.
Dr. Ayah Bilbeisi understands the importance of preventative dentistry and routine checkups. During a checkup, we can help you prevent common dental issues and keep an eye out for things like oral cancer.
November is Oral Cancer Awareness Month, and we are committed to spreading awareness about the importance of oral health. Oral cancer is a severe disease that can be fatal if not caught early, and we want to do our part to ensure that our patients are informed and proactive about their oral health.
The Importance of Dental Exams in Urbandale – Oral Cancer Awareness Month
Fortunately, oral cancer is relatively rare. But it is possible for anyone, and it’s a good idea to be proactive about early detection. Oral cancer is also one of the most deadly forms of cancer. The good news is that oral cancer is highly treatable when caught early.
During your next dental visit, Dr. Bilbeisi can perform a thorough oral cancer screening as part of our commitment to providing comprehensive dental care. We encourage you to ask any questions about oral cancer and what you can do to reduce your risk.
What Happens During a Checkup?
A routine dental exam is vital for maintaining good oral health. During a routine exam, Dr. Bilbeisi will check for signs of tooth decay, gum disease, and oral cancer. He and his team will also clean your teeth and assess your need for fluoride treatment. If you have questions about oral health, this is also an excellent time to ask us.
Oral cancer screenings are also an essential part of a routine exam. We will look for signs of cancerous or precancerous cells in your mouth. Early detection is key to successful treatment, so it is essential to see us regularly.
In the meantime, here are some facts about oral cancer that everyone should know:
Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
There are several risk factors associated with oral cancer, including:
- Tobacco use: Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and smokeless tobacco all increase your risk of developing oral cancer. People who use tobacco products have a six times greater risk of developing oral cancer than those who do not.
- Alcohol use: People who drink alcohol excessively are at an increased risk of developing oral cancer. It is estimated that 75% of people diagnosed with oral cancer are heavy drinkers.
- HPV infection: The human papillomavirus (HPV) is a sexually transmitted virus linked to an increased risk of several cancers, including cervical and oral cancers.
- Age: The vast majority of people diagnosed with oral cancer are over the age of 40. However, the incidence of oral cancer among young adults has increased in recent years due to the increased prevalence of HPV infection.
- Gender: Men are twice as likely as women to develop oral cancer.
- Sun exposure: Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun can damage the DNA in your cells and increase your risk of skin cancers, including those on your lips.
Dental Exams in Urbandale
Oral Cancer Awareness Month is a great time to educate yourself about the risks associated with this disease and what you can do to reduce your risk. Remember to visit your dentist regularly for screenings and cleanings, and don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have about oral health. Together we can help ensure everyone enjoys a healthy smile for years to come!