We offer quality, experience,
and the latest in esthetic dentistry.
8 Helpful Tips for Caring for Your Children’s Teeth
Parents, are you looking for a family dentist your children will love in Urbandale? Cedar Ridge Esthetic & Family Dentistry is the perfect place for your family. We specialize in caring for the teeth and gums of children, and we know how to make sure that they feel comfortable during their appointment. Our team takes the time to get to know each of our young patients, helping them relax and enjoy their dental care. We are the top children’s dentist in Urbandale.
One of the specialties we provide is preventative dentistry. Our goal is to help your children avoid cavities and other dental problems by teaching them how to care for their teeth properly.
You can trust that your child is in good hands at Cedar Ridge Esthetic & Family Dentistry. We will care for all their dental needs while ensuring they have a fun and enjoyable experience. Schedule an appointment today!
Preventative Dentistry and Caring For Your Children’s Teeth
As a parent, you know caring for your children’s teeth is essential. After all, healthy teeth are crucial for a lifetime of good oral health. But with so many different things to think about, it can be tough to know where to start. That’s why we’ve put together this list of eight helpful tips for caring for your children’s teeth.
- Start early. It’s never too early to start caring for your child’s teeth. You should start cleaning your baby’s gums before their first tooth comes in. Use a soft, wet cloth or gauze pad to massage their gums after each feeding gently.
- Use the right toothbrush. The size of the brush matters when choosing a toothbrush for your child. Look for a toothbrush with a small head and soft bristles. And don’t forget to replace it every three months or sooner if the bristles fray.
- Be gentle. You might be tempted to scrub hard when brushing your child’s teeth, but that can damage their delicate gums and teeth. Instead, use gentle circular motions and let the toothbrush do the work for you.
- Fluoride is your friend. Fluoride is a mineral that helps strengthen teeth and prevent cavities. You can find fluoride in tap water and many types of toothpaste. Talk to Dr. Bilbeisi about whether or not fluoride treatments are suitable for your child.
- Avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Sugar is one of the main culprits behind cavities, so limiting your child’s intake of sugary snacks and beverages like candy, cookies, cake, soda, and fruit juice is essential. Opt for healthier alternatives like fruits and vegetables instead.
- Teach them to floss. Flossing is just as important as brushing to keep teeth healthy and cavity-free. Please help your child get into the habit of flossing by demonstrating how to do it yourself and then supervising as they do it themselves until they can do it on their own.
- Schedule regular dental checkups. Cavity prevention is critical, so be sure to schedule regular dental checkups for your child starting at around two or three years old. These checkups will help ensure that their teeth are healthy and that any problems are caught early on.
- Be a good role model. The best way to encourage healthy habits is by setting a good example yourself. Be sure to brush and floss twice daily and visit the dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups. Your children will follow your lead.
Children’s Dentist in Urbandale, Iowa
Cavity prevention starts at home with proper oral care habits. By following these eight tips, you can help ensure that your child has strong, healthy teeth that will last a lifetime. Please schedule an appointment with us today! We would be happy to answer any questions about caring for your children’s teeth.